Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Karitane

This weekend we went to Karitane, about 30 minutes north of Dunedin right on the ocean.  It's a cute little town and we stayed at the holiday home of one of Laura and Vanessa's fellow university co-workers (I don't know the exact relation... check out my sister's blog in case she explains the relationship...or just in general cuz she's been here in NZ longer than I have and has more cool stories).  It overlooks a protected inlet and is a 5 minute walk to a gorgeous beach where you can sunbathe and climb rocks.
The Holiday Home
One with Nature
The Inlet, and the view from the house
The main house has a couple bedrooms and a large lounge/dining/kitchen area.  The guest house has another 2 bedrooms, a lounge and small kitchen as well.  Between the 2 houses is a good size lawn with plenty of space for 6 people and a dog to spread out and sunbathe, we tested it.  And then there's the garage that has bikes, kayaks, boats and a plethora of other things to play with while holidaying.

We arrived on Friday evening after a BBQ in a Dunedin park with the girls/guys who work at the University Print Shop.  At the BBQ, Todd and I learned how to throw a rugby ball (I get it, but i need to practice so there's actually some oomph) and we played some cricket!!  Vanessa figured it was a good idea to teach a couple Americans how to play before Christmas when there will be 4 of us attempting the sport.  Todd did a good job bowling and batting and then I got to bowl.  So. Much. Fun.  I could bowl forever.  And I probably should to get some oomph on that ball as well.  Apparently I'm also supposed to aim at the wicket behind the batter.  I feel like throwing the ball in the batter's general area is accomplishment enough, but I'm in the minority.  Anyways, the spectators started fielding and after some exciting overs (that's what it's called every time you bowl (throw) the ball), we left and drove the short way to Karitane.
Todd Batting
That's me in the front after I bowled to Todd
Vanessa, Todd, Laura, Kitty and I drove up together and met Kitty's husband, Dan, and her dog, Chian, at the house.  Since it was only about 7:30ish and the sun was still bright and shining, we went for a walk to the beach.  Vanessa found a big tricycle with a basket in the back.  She gave Chian a ride for a while.  Chian is so cute.
Chian
Kitty and Dan walking, Vanessa biking with Chian
We got waylaid on our beach-ward quest by a playground.  Todd and I teeter-tottered, Laura went for a swing and then we all tried to get across the monkey bars.  Those bars hurt your hands!!  And it was much easier to get across when you were 8.  I then joined Laura on the swings and we got in sync with each other.  Despite the fact that 7 years separate us in age and school, we both learned the same sayings on the school playground "get out of my bathroom window!" 

Eventually we reached the beach.  I stuck my toes in the water and it was so warm!  Well, I'm used to Maine ocean which is rather cold all the time.  This felt lovely.  We all walked along the beach and took pictures.
The clouds were amazing
soy yo
the sun was awesome

And climbed rocks.
vanessa, todd, kitty, moi
 And finally, the sun started to set about 9ish so we headed back home.

Saturday was GORGEOUS.  Everyone got up early (crazies) but I slept in to a normal hour (read:10am).  We were planning to go to a market in the next town over, but it wasn't until Sunday so we all went home and read in the sun.  
the kindle sisters

And then we slept in the sun.  Vanessa burned her eyelids.  I think this is actually rather impressive.  To summarize thoughts on sun bathing beneath the hole in the O-zone layer:
Pros: 
1. super fast tanning;

2. visitors (like me!) haven't grown up here so our chances of developing skin cancer as quickly are smaller (in Elenaland anyway)


Cons:
...uh...


Later Saturday afternoon, Dan, Kitty, Todd and I decided to go kayaking.  I've never been kayaking before so Kitty and I were going to go together in one kayak.  Dan and Todd pushed us off, but two people were a little much for our kayak.  Every wave crashed over the top of the kayak, Kitty tried to bail but the buckets weren't actually for bailing... so finally, with all the water we'd taken on, it seemed that the front of the kayak was underwater and with the next wave, so were we.  It was a graceful exit from the kayak, and we were worried that we were so far out in the inlet, but then we put our feet down and stood up.  Crisis averted.  We walked the kayak back to the boat landing and tried again.  This time I went by myself and Kitty swam behind Dan's kayak.


Once across the small inlet, Todd and Chian went to explore.  Chian found a stick and kept hitting Todd with it.  Kitty and I went swimming and Dan continued to kayak around.  Todd and I swapped kayaks on the way back cuz I'm short and could get my legs into the opening that his legs couldn't quite fit in.  I did not like that kayak.  It was very long and sleek, but it didn't like to go straight.  With the wind and the waves and the weird balance of the kayak, I kept spinning around.  It probably would have been easier to paddle backwards, but strangely I like to see where I'm going and what I'm going to run into, so I fought the kayak and eventually won.  
Kitty and I - post Kayaking

Chian, climbing a tree.  He's impressive
We got fish and chips which we ate outside on the grass, at 8pm at night, cuz the sun was still up.  Being so close to the other pole is kind of amazing, 15+ hours of daylight and counting!  Finally (and probably thankfully) a cloud hid the sun and we all saw how pink we really were, so we went inside, found some aloe, and watched the World of Wearable Arts Show.  WOW is a really funky competition they have in Wellington.  It's a fashion show that's artsy, design/concept based, and something that Cirque du Soleil (or Lady Gaga my sister suggested) could go shopping at.  They even have a whole category for bras.  Crazy, but so cool, check out the first video Tourism New Zealand to get an idea.


Sunday was cooler and slightly cloudy so we weren't tempted to burn our already red selves any further.  We went for a walk around the peninsula, which was beautiful.



Then we hit up the market in the next town, Seacliff.  Markets here are a mixture of flea market/garage sale/craft fair/baked goods sale.  They're a little whack-a-doodle, but at least now I know where to go if I need to sell anything I don't want.  After that it was back to Dunedin.  Laura and Todd had a friend's birthday party to attend and Vanessa and I had dinner at another friend's house.  All in all, a fabulous weekend.
The holidaying crew: laura, me, todd, chian, vanessa and dan (kitty's our camerawoman)
Fingers crossed that this week someone decides to give me one of the jobs I've applied for so I can mail Christmas gifts.  So, if you want a present from me, send me your positive energy so I get employed!

1 comment: