Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas party at the grocery store and... other surprises

So, it's Thursday again and knitting group is on the agenda.  I love that I have an agenda in a new country and a new city.  Tuesday: water aerobics, Thursday: knitting.. 
ok, so it's not an extensive agenda, but it exists.

Todd and I just went for a drive around town.  Hedwig felt like a jack rabbit today.  Todd will insist it's mostly my fault because I release the clutch too quickly.  I maintain Hedwig is in a bad mood.  I'll give her a new sticker and maybe she'll feel better tomorrow.  Anyways, we stopped by the grocery store, they were handing out balloons, a skinny teenager with a Kiwi accent was dressed up like Santa, pushing a shopping cart full of candy and asked (so like Harry Potter) "would you like anything from the trolley?"  I think I love this country.  They announced on the loudspeaker that it was their Christmas party, so in addition to Santa and balloons, there was a free BBQ outside: sausages, wrapped in bread (not a bun) with onions and tomato sauce.  Obvs I had one.  I'm such a good vegan.  

And now for a WTF moment:
A few days ago, I got some mail from the NZ Police.  I didn't think anything of it, but apparently, they mail you speeding tickets.  On our road trip from Auckland to Dunedin, we were caught speeding, in Timaru, around lunchtime.  Great, that's when I was driving...or so I thought.  I drove into Timaru, Todd drove out.  We checked the time stamp on the receipt from lunch.  Speeding ticket was after lunch so it was Todd with the heavy foot.  

Here's the kicker:
Speeding ticket for doing 55 kph in a 50 kph zone.
That's the equivalent of doing 34 mph in 31mph zone... Seriously, NZ? Seriously?


No comments:

Post a Comment