Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Strut It, Honey!

iD Fashion Week just finished here in Dunedin again and seeing as I never blogged about my experience at last year's fashion show, I figured it was an appropriate time to backtrack.

Considering I lived in NYC for 4 years, the closest I'd ever come to a runway was 'Project Runway' or the impromptu runways my sister and I made up on dance floors, if those count.  Regardless, sitting at a runway show was amazing for me let alone being in the front row!!

Ceire & I - in the front row
Every March, the organizers put together a week's worth of fashion events, culminating in the Railway Show at the Dunedin Rail Station on Saturday night.  Earlier in the week they have a fashion show with awards for emerging designers, mostly students from universities here in New Zealand and some international schools as well.  This is the show that I attended last year.  It was pure luck that I happened upon these tickets.  One of the wine reps from No. 7 had 2 tickets for us to use.  Our owner and our manager both couldn't make it, a few other people already had tickets to the show so my co-worker Ceire got the two tickets.  Her friend couldn't make the show and I wasn't working that night so I got the spare ticket.  Pure dumb luck, but I'm not complaining!

A favorite pic - so close!
I met Ceire at the show, we bought a bottle of bubbly (it was the Quartz Reef rep who gave us the tickets...only right we support them by buying their bubbly!) and were surprised to find our seats were in the front row.  I felt all important-like and as though I should have score cards with me to write my comments on (a la Project Runway).  Instead, like a true neophyte, I pulled out my iPhone and started snapping photos just to prove how close we were to the models.  I was also pleasantly surprised to see the twins walking the runway.  I'd heard so much about them from my sister who watched "New Zealand's Next Top Model" that I was thrilled to see them in person.  And now I can say that their dad cut my hair.  Crazy how small this city is!

Each of the designers had a 4 or 5 piece collection.  Each model walked the runway and then stood together at the back of the runway until everyone had come out before they walked as a unit down the runway once more to pose as a full collection.  It was a nice system and gave me heaps of time to take pictures of the pieces up close when they weren't moving.  Below are some pictures of my favorite collections - or at least the really cool ones.  The orange dress I would buy in a heartbeat!!

These were just fun

The Orange dress I'm in love with!

I'm not sure what else to call these guys but Fashionista Ringwraiths
It was a really cool event and I had a fabulous time being there and making comments to Ceire.  Some were "I Want!", most just made her laugh.  Regardless, it was a great evening out and it was nice to be in-the-know about the fashion show and be able to comment on it with all the customers at the restaurant the next day.  Sadly, I didn't attend any of the runway shows this year, but I'm not sure I could have topped last year's experience!

1 comment:

  1. you showed me where they have NY fashion week once when i visited...doesnt that count? :-) i love that orange dress too but i could never pull that off..plus orange makes me look like i have jaundice :-)

    ReplyDelete