Thursday, January 13, 2011

Christmas/New Years Adventure - Part 1

December 20, 2010, 9am
Vanessa and I set off for Christchurch at the beginning of our long (and exciting) Christmas and New Year's holiday. Amidst the Glee sing-a-long and the chips and truffle gorging, we did see some stunning scenery - the colors were amazing!

no idea what the white field is, but we also passed a yellow field, and we think the purple is lavender - so pretty!
Once we got to Christchurch, I went to jail.  No, my working visa is not in jeopardy, but it is a pretty cool backpackers.  It's an old jail that they renovated into a backpackers.  They kept a couple cells in their original condition, but they added clerestory windows and large picture windows, plus everything's white and bright so you don't actually feel as though you're doing time.

looking towards the back of the jail (there's a pool table in the loft!) - and towards the front of the jail, nice, eh?

one of the original cells - doesn't actually seem big enough for 2
After checking in to jail, I was on my own - so I wandered all over.  I went to Cathedral Square where, just in case I was completely out of touch, they reminded me that the 2011 Rugby World Cup would be happening in NZ.


The Cathedral was pretty - I'm sure the angels in the nave were supposed to be the eyecatchers...


But I have to pull the architecture card and state that I much preferred the ceiling in the apse.


After the cathedral, I did break down and stop at a Starbucks :-/ for my soy chai and to plan my afternoon.  I ended up walking through Victoria Square and then over to the Botanical Gardens where I got a wee bit carried away with the flowers...

Victoria Square, and a punter
Flowers, me and a sculpture in the Botanical Gardens
That evening, I stopped at The Bog, an Irish pub that happened to have trivia night on Mondays.  Lucky me, I shagged a table and was immediately entered as my own team for trivia night.  The first round was all about movies, so I cleaned up, even though I was alone.  The trivia guys seemed to take some pity/interest in my trivia team of one, and subsequently helped me out with the Kiwi-specific questions (i.e. Which town received the New World Town of the Year award in 2010?  Motueka - duh).  The table next to me (there were 3 people there) started to cooperate with me a bit.  They helped me with Kiwi and sports questions, I helped them out with grade B American High School movies and American sports team names.  It was a pretty good time - especially when one of the trivia guys came down and crossed out my incorrect answers and wrote the correct ones.  So, fortunately, I didn't come in last place!  I tied for second to last, but considering the other groups probably had multiple people, I didn't feel too shabby about my performance.

That night at the backpackers, I was sleeping in the top bunk over an epic snorer - I mean EPIC.  He snored the way cartoon characters snore - loud and obnoxious so you don't think it's real.  He also started speaking mid snore.  A good 10 second one-sided conversation.  But to deserve the title "epic"?  He snored and sang a scale!  No joke.  He fa-la-la'd his way up a scale before a brief second of silence and then the snoring recommenced.  Epic.  Truly epic.  And really hard not to laugh at.  Ah, the joys of sleeping in backpackers with strangers :)

The next morning, I flew to Auckland.

No comments:

Post a Comment